[wp-hackers] WordPress Maturity (was)Re: hate

Marko Heijnen mailing at markoheijnen.nl
Tue Apr 30 16:28:33 UTC 2013

Op 30 apr. 2013, om 18:06 heeft Harry Metcalfe <harry at dxw.com> het volgende geschreven:

>> No clue what kind of issues you have with deployments and how WordPress need to solve them. Same counts for content staging. It isn't something WordPress need to care of. Also content staging is always a pain but not a common one when you have good rules.
> Primarily, it's the database munging you have to do to transfer a site from one host to another. It's also a little annoying that the whole WordPress codebase has to sit in the web root, and that uploads sit alongside code in wp-content. I understand why these things are the way they are, and it's not *that* bad. Just a bit annoying for us since we're doing automatic continuous deployments in an environment where we have to meet government security standards. For us, it would be useful if we could stash the whole of WP in /usr/lib or something, and it would be great if we didn't have to have webserver-writeable directories alongside code.
>
> That said, I do understand why most of those things are like that and wouldn't expect them to change on our account. We are probably an edge case. But things like the database rewriting are just unacceptable.

Changing from host doesn't need you to touch the database. Moving from domain does and that does make sense and not hard to do.

You can do a lot of things like that but you have to do it yourself. WordPress does let you do that but you need to write a small plugin to make that happen.

>> Test coverage is growing and there isn't a real good coverage number for as I know. You need to run the unit tests in different ways to do so.
> This has long been a bugbear. I would like to be able to check out some tests and run them in our CI. I'd like those tests to fail if one of our projects or a plugin does something dumb that breaks one of WP's assumptions. I would like that test suite to be so good that plugin and theme authors would want to write tests for their code because it would be strange not to.
>
> It's a cultural thing as much as anything else, and -- frankly -- the PHP/WordPress community are so far behind Ruby/Rails people and others that it's a bit embarrasing. WordPress is now the only reason we use PHP at all!

You can help out to make the tests better. You can use the tests for your projects and then build a script that enables your theme/plugins. Never tried it to do so.
But seeing the last comment I'm not sure how good you know the codebase and now what the exact test coverage is

>> Code quality in plugins isn't something WordPress core can fix. Also when you think that is an issue then build it yourself. That is always what I do for large scale environments. It's almost stupid to use a plugin for something that does so much more then needed.
> Again, this is more of a cultural problem. But I do think there are things core could do to improve the situation, like providing an API for people to create and modify files that plugins need to be writeable, instead of letting plugin authors sprinkle them about in WordPress codebases where the entire core is writeable by the webuser. Which is another unacceptable thing, imo.

No clue what you are talking about but seems as a case WordPress shouldn't do something at all. The power of plugins is that they can do a lot.
If you want a secure environment than develop the plugins yourself. Seems as a easy answer but it is a fact when you can code well enough.

>> About capital_P_dangit() you are right and we do a lot of feature creeping right now as the Post format UI and to less focus on bug fixing.
> Glad you agree :)
>
>> This doesn't mean you can't create a ticket and looking at your tickets you don't do it wrong at all. 1 closed, 1 fixed with props and 2 open tickets where 1 is debatable for a fix.
> That's useful feedback - appreciated. But part of the reason is that I don't raise tickets unless I'm pretty confident that the thing is just a bug, and isn't some weird wontfix or policy decision. Also, sometimes things just seem to get ignored. Like this one:
>
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18039
>
> And then I post snippy comments that I subsequently regret :)

Well 22 months is nothing compares to the oldest open ticket (8 years). The problem is the amount of open tickets (3738).
For 3.6 it's most likely too late for it but will see if we can fix it in 3.7