[wp-hackers] GSOC 2013 GlotPress

Faishal Saiyed saiyedfaishal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:35:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am interning at rtCamp that uses GlotPress to manage translations of its
projects here: http://rtcamp.com/translate/projects

I have explored the code and the functionality. I've also been through
BackPress.

I agree with the improvements that have been proposed in the GSOC project.

Additionally, the managers of the project often complain about the fact
that they can't see a list of contributors (and the amount of
contributions), so that they can credit the translators in releases.

Right now, they have to sift through all translations to see if they are
missing out on some contributors.

In addition, user management and roles lack a UI and an understandable
presentation.

So, I feel there should be some sort of user management that shows a user's
contributions to various projects. Conversely, each project should have a
list of contributors ranked by the %age of translations.

Also, to check the progress of translations and move translations from
Waiting to accepted, one has to keep visiting the site, since notifications
are absent.

So, there should be some notification at every 10% (20%, or some other
milestones) that should go to the admin and validators. Again setting these
roles for users must have a better UI.

Also, the process of adding new languages is very cumbersome. There should
be a way to add a default set of languages when the project is created.

The Google translate API 1.0 must be upgraded to 2.0 and the buttons
shouldn't show up if a user hasn't purchased the key. I'm not sure whether
the non-free nature of the API should be a deterrent. Firstly, the charges
are ridiculously low and second, Google collects money to thwart abuse of
the service rather than earning money from it.

There are many other things. However, we can't do too many things right at
the start. So, I'm looking to start improving this immensely useful project
one step at a time as part of my GSOC project.

Do let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

--
*Faishal Saiyed*