[wp-hackers] Multi and single widgets

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Tue Apr 23 11:30:39 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been doing some work for a client that has involved becoming very
intimate with the internals of WP's widget handling.

One thing I can't discern from the code is this: There appear to be
"multi-widgets" and "single widgets" - but wherein lies the real
difference? i.e. Why internally are some widgets 'multi', and some
'single'? I am getting the idea that a "multi-widget" is just a widget
in a modern WP install, and a "single" widget is a piece of historical
detritus.

Unfortunately when Googling these terms, there's too much "noise" - e.g.
"single" comes up a lot in WordPress for other things.

Am I on the right track? Am I safe to pretend that 'single' widgets
don't exist, if I'm coding for vaguely recent WP versions?

David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net