[wp-hackers] Limit Login Attempts

Marko Heijnen mailing at markoheijnen.nl
Tue Apr 16 15:46:05 UTC 2013

The only thing that makes sense to have in core is checking the password strength and not having the username 'admin' pre filled. Not that I think it helps much but it doesn't hurt.

Protecting against a DDOS attack depends on the type of attack. So locking down an account can be seen as stupid since it will lock you out when you want to blog.
But it can be useful like now for a short period. I however added an IP check now that allows me to login from home only. What also make sense for now and probably later add a role check in it.

I do block IP's but as said they can change easily. So it does work a little. That is also why I don't think limiting login attempts should be a core feature.
It just does too little when someone really wants to get in. if you got a password with 32 chars you are safe for now.

The most important thing to do is changing your password often, don't blog with an administrator user (finding out the username), update WP, plugins and theme and reading blogs about it.
The overreacting now on the username 'admin' and changing that doesn't improve your site much. It depends on what kind of password you have.

Also what everyone seems to forget is that protecting your server is maybe even more important. Most attempts on my server that I know about are trying to login to my SSH.
Another thing is that sites from clients that got hacked was not because of the site but that someone had a virus on their pc.

Marko

Op 16 apr. 2013, om 17:39 heeft Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> het volgende geschreven:

>>> http://twitter.com/tcbarrett