[wp-hackers] Limit Login Attempts

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Tue Apr 16 14:36:53 UTC 2013

I made a rather reasonable proposal, and received plenty of advice, but the proposal never was vetted.  Now the issue of brute force attacks has even received Matt's attention: http://ma.tt/2013/04/passwords-and-brute-force/

On the dozen or so WP sites I manage, wp-login.php is frequently among the top 10 most often accessed pages.  Yes, I have removed the admin account.  Yes, I have robust passwords.  Yes, I have plugins to help.  Yes, I am playing whack-a-mole and blocking the IPs one-by-one.  But brute force attempts to login are happening at an alarming rate.

Wordpress should include login attempt limiting as part of core:

 *   Logging into WP is a core feature
 *   Usernames and passwords are a core part of WP security
 *   Password strength metering is a core feature
 *   Limiting guesses is a key way to defend against brute force attacks

Is this the end-all-be-all to WP security?  No, of course not.

But much of WP security depends on not being able to get access to privileged accounts.  And limiting login attempts is a simple, straightforward, non-invasive way to dramatically improve that security.  It has almost no impact on the good guys and virtually eliminates a common exploit path.

Not every WP site allows comments, so having Akismet a plugin makes sense.  Many other other plugins make sense as plugins.  But logging into WP is an essential facility.

Limiting login attempts should be part of core.

Chris