[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Kevinjohn Gallagher kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 21:49:16 UTC 2013

Apologies for the late reply.
@nacin ========Brother, I don't think the comparisons with previous year's GSOC is overly apt.The projects and people you mentioned all build features that could only be accessed from the admin area.The *RISK* if they were badly architected or insecure or buggy is/was limited.Given the current mass attack on Wordpress websites, I think it's not out with the realms of reason that some of us are concerned at something with a potentially huge impact on any/all WordPress sites is being proposed to be undertaken on a programme such as this.
As I said - it's not about WHO writes it. Ryan has been here longer than me, and is a much better developer than me (not that hard really). He's also a lovely fella who I enjoyed talking to about SimplePie and his other work at #wpcs. It's not a comment on Ryan - at all.
It's that a mini-project like this that has a far reaching impact with a potentially huge risk should not be undertaken to fit in with an arbitrary timescale decided upon by an independent external 3rd party. The merit of the proposal should be weighed up independent of the developer proposing it, as long as there is consensus that the developer is up to the challenge of the proposal should their be no external constraints.
Allow me to quote Kev's rule of Risk Management number #3: "Building a house on sand is still a bad idea even if you like the construction company".
(plus, and maybe it's just me, but isn't there a JSON API already available in jetpack http://jetpack.me/support/json-api/ via the already build REST API for WordPress http://developer.wordpress.com/docs/api/ )

@ Bryan========
> How can you know time is going to be an problem without even knowing what the scope of the project is?
Honestly? Years of project management.
Allow me to quote Kev's rule of Project Management number #3: "When someone says they want to build the Titanic in 3 weeks, you don't need to know how many lifeboats are in scope to know it ain't going to happen".

> That gives 65 days planning and 91 days working on the implementation.
I think this is a great example of the difference between a developer and a project manager.It is 91 days, you're right and I apologise. But actually, according to my calendar 91 days = 65 "working days".That is 65 working days if you do nothing but work on this every day. No school work, no day off, no client work, no family issues, no sick days, no days where the internet is down, no force majeure, no computer crashes, no days on simple pie, no holidays etc etc.

Thats why I'm able to come to a conclusion about it being too big.Because I already think you've over estimated how many days you have by 30% ;-)

Anyway, to each their own :)