[wp-hackers] GSоC 2013: Enhanced Emails

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:17:43 UTC 2013

On 13 April 2013 14:55, Boris Kuzmanov <boriskuzmanov2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm Boris and I'm studying at the Faculty of Computers Science and
> Engineering in Skopje, Macedonia. Until now I have few plugins in the
>  WordPress.org repository (http://profiles.wordpress.org/kuzmanov) and
> currently I'm working on improving the one for Time.mk. Beside WordPress
> development, I'm also one of the main people behind the Macedonian
> WordPress Community and mk.wordpress.org.
>
> For this year's Google Summer of Code, I would like to work on new fresh
> design for email notifications for new users, comments, etc. and make them
> more readable and optimized for every client or device they are opened.
>  [Project: http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2013#Enhanced_Emails]
>
> E-mail notifications are sent when:
> 1. WordPress Installation
> 2. Comments post on your blog
> 3. Comments held for moderation
> 4. Forgotten password
> 5. New user registration
>
> I've already made some schemes for all of the mails that are sent and this
> is just my primary idea, so changed can be expected.
> * This mail only contains the design for the 'desktop' version, but there
> will be also for computer tablets and smartphones, normally, with the same
> or similar design. The size of the content shown on the images will not be
> the same, since this is just a scheme. I'll be working with HTML(5) and
> CSS(3).
>
> 1) WordPress Installation
> Here's my idea for the e-mail that users receive when they finish with the
> installation. It's the standard content on the left side, and somewhere
> (right side) in the e-mail I thought it will be good if they have some
> quick links to the beginners stuff.
>
> http://kuzmanov.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WP_Welcome_reg_mail.png
>
> 2) Comments post on your blog
> I'm also looking to make some improvements in the mails that users receive
> when someone posts a comment on their blog. And instead of the links for
> approving, moving to trash or marking the comment as spam, I thought it
> would be great if there is some visualization for that, as the buttons
> shown on the picture below.
>
> http://kuzmanov.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WP_New_Comment.png
>
> 3) Comments held for moderation
> This is similar as the previous, but here in the bottom we have text for
> informing the administrator how many comments are waiting to be moderated.
>
> http://kuzmanov.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WP_Comment_Mod.png
>
> 4 & 5) Forgotten password & New user registration
> Since in these e-mails we only have user information and 1-2 links, the
> design will be without sidebars and the content will stay the same as now.
> Maybe there can be added some information for the date and time when the
> request was made.
>
> I'm looking forward for some feedback.
>
> Thank You,
> Boris Kuzmanov

Hi Boris,

I'd love for the default emails in WordPress to look better. That said, you
should have a look in the WordPress.org Plugin Repository as there are
several plugins that provide HTML emails for WordPress. WP Better Emails is
a popular one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-better-emails/.

John