[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Fri Apr 12 17:29:20 UTC 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Marko Heijnen <mailing at markoheijnen.nl> wrote:
> I didn't read the whole story yet but please Mike this isn't helpful.

I'm sorry you don't feel it's helpful.  I believe this could be a big mistake; is it not my obligation to speak up when I believe so?

> I don't think that it is a bad idea. I think in two months we do get something done. Obviously not a full implemented JSON/RESTful API but that isn't needed at all. Also a Trac ticket doesn't help at all. You will get a lot of responses an opinions and it hard to filter it out. I do believe a small group can help out starting this idea.

A Trac ticket does not mean group development; but it does allow for "many eyes" and for the team building to hopefully at least acknowledge the concerns.

> Obviously 1 student and 1 mentor isn't really a group but there are other people that can help out. If I'm not a mentor on this idea I do help out and I'm sure a lot of other people like Bryan and Eric will do too and probably this will also includes you. So the code will get many eyes on it. I also think that someone like Max Cutler will look into it and after talks I had with him I'm sure he gives good feedback.

Respectfully I've not seen any of the people listed or you or Byran or Ryan on the rest-discuss list or the api-craft list; the two lists where people discuss best practices for web APIs (and a quick google confirms no participation.) These lists are where people who build web APIs congregate. Yet you are saying that this team can oversee the architecture for a JSON API in a few weeks that, once used by a few people will have it's architecture baked in?

Would the team at least commit to immediately joining the less pedantic of the two lists api-craft[1] and pass the proposed API by the members of the list to get their feedback on it's architecture?  If you'll collectively do that I'll demur.

-Mike

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/api-craft