[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Bryan Petty bryan at ibaku.net
Wed Apr 10 17:32:02 UTC 2013

All 4 main points you outlined and really great overall goals, and I
agree on all counts.

I might also add that building off of #2 and #3, it's also important
that the REST API offer a clean and simple internal API to extend it
and offer additional REST routes for other functionality and
information not just for additional core features (possibly even
jumping into things on the admin side for managing menus for example),
but also for plugins much like how the XML-RPC API can be easily
extended by plugins.

Additionally, since we've recently learned from our mistakes already
in regards to this, it's important to make sure any new API that this
project offers always consumes and delivers non-escaped, raw values
(outside of JSON of course) where possible. Some available hooks and
filters may make this difficult in many places. I haven't had time to
fully review your proof-of-concept implementation yet to ensure it's
following this guideline, but just wanted to make sure this was
discussed.

In regards to GSoC, this is definitely something that couldn't fit
into the core release schedule, so I imagine an end goal for the GSoC
deadline would be a usable (even if still alpha quality) plugin on
WP.org. I know you know this already, but just re-iterating it for
everyone else.

Also, for GSoC, this is indeed something that additional people could
help with during the program as long as the mentor(s) are only grading
your code and performance, and that shouldn't be a problem. Although,
while others can lend a hand in this, Google has been clear that two
SoC students can not work on the same project. So we just can't have
two students working on this at the same time (for any other students
that thought this might be possible).

Regards,
Bryan Petty