[wp-hackers] pluggable functions

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Mon Oct 29 03:21:36 UTC 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 11:04 PM, Daniel Dvorkin <elrabino at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been wondering about this for a while. WP_Dependencies (the class
> extended by WP_Scripts and WP_Styles) seems well suited to handle some sort
> of library load in the same way we can register, unregister
> and prioritise scripts and styles.

Yes, it does look like WP_Dependencies would be a good base for dependency management.  That is, however, a large scope and I'd fear a larger scope would be beyond consideration.

WP_Dependencies helps manage the tree of dependencies; the smaller scoped need would be to collect up a list of latest needed libraries and load the latest one of each or fire an action to notify a plugin that its library load request can't be fulfilled so it can notify the admin user and avoid using the library.

-Mike