[wp-hackers] 3.5 and attachment_fields_to_edit (custom fields for media)

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Oct 14 16:39:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Steve Taylor <steve at sltaylor.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A plugin of mine
> (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/developers-custom-fields/)
> involves adding custom fields to media attachments via the
> attachment_fields_to_edit hook. It looks like this method is broken in
> the current beta of 3.5 due to moving media editing to post.php.
>
> Has anyone worked with this / posted about it? I've looked through the
> Trac ticket (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21391) and there
> don't seem to be any hints for devs whose stuff this breaks.
>
> I'm ploughing into it now, just wondered if anyone else was ahead of
> me! I'm guessing the new approach will be even easier to hook into
> (using standard meta boxes) - but does legacy support just involve
> leaving attachment_fields_to_edit stuff in place?

Two things:

 - Your plugin will probably become a lot simpler if it is updated to use
the newer post type UI/API.

 -  We are still doing backwards compatibility sweeps. We will continue to
support attachment_fields_to_edit in a backwards compatible, deprecated
fashion, it just doesn't yet. Thanks for the reminder on this hook in
particular.

Nacin