[wp-hackers] Accessing Update Check API Outside of WordPress

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Nov 19 09:47:36 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Mark Smith <mark.smith1187 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I took a look at update.php to see how WordPress does it but the myriad of
> WordPress functions seems to just confuse me as to what exactly is being
> posted to the API endpoints
> http://api.wordpress.org/plugins/update-check/1.0/ and
> http://api.wordpress.org/themes/update-check/1.0/. Can anyone explain to
> me what eactly needs to be posted to get the current version of each plugin
> and theme.

If you use the /info/ endpoint for a single plugin, you'll end up with the
current version. The update-check endpoints are designed for checking a
bunch of plugins en masse, and for when you may not know the actual slug of
the plugin. (It does some fairly complex matching using pretty much every
plugin header to make sure it finds the right plugin.)

Example: http://api.wordpress.org/plugins/info/1.0/debug-bar.json. Other
accepted formats include .xml and .php.