[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Softpedia and PHPKode Directories?

Jackson Whelan jw at jacksonwhelan.com
Mon May 14 12:55:10 UTC 2012

Recently after releasing a new plugin, I received messages from
webscripts.softpedia.com and phpkode.com, congratulating me on having my
plugin included in their directory.

I went to check it out, and while it seems benign, I am leery of them
hosting my plugin archive - which seems to remove some of the control I
have over distribution and making sure that the most current version is
what is downloaded. It's unclear how and when changes I make to the
official WordPress.org repository get applied to their hosted version.

I imagine they are scraping the new plugin releases from WordPress.org
and using them to create more content on their site.

Personally, I'd prefer to channel everything through one distribution
channel, and have asked to have the plugin removed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Curious to hear what others
have done or think of this.

Thanks in advance,

Jackson