[wp-hackers] canonical not enforced

Nathaniel Taintor goldenapplesdesign at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:24:14 UTC 2012

"Canonical" links are a different thing from url redirection, and they're
not meant to be used for that. The purpose of the canonical links is to
inform search engine who find the page http://unfoc.us/?p=4116 that it
should be indexed as http://unfocus.com/?p=4116 , and that the two URLs
refer to the same content.

WordPress's permalinks are based off of the "Site URL" option which is set
in "Settings > General", and since you have that option set to
http://unfocus.com/, <http://unfocus.com/?p=4116> you can see that even if
you browse to the site through the unfoc.us domain, any of the links on the
site will resolve to unfocus.com links.

If you want visitors reaching the site through unfoc.us to automatically be
redirected to the corresponding url under unfocus.com, you will have to add
this as a rule in your .htaccess - its not something WordPress handles by
default.

Hope this helps,
Nathaniel Taintor