[wp-hackers] Introduction: WordPress Developer from Bluehost

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Jun 15 01:51:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Bryan Petty <bpetty at bluehost.com> wrote:

> My initial plans here are simply to submit bug patches and perform testing
> as needed on the backlog of Trac tickets on core as well as helping with
> unit tests once I'm a little more familiar with the system. We'll see where
> my strengths land after the first few months here, and I can start digging
> into larger new features and changes later on down the road. I do know that
> some of the most annoying parts of WordPress that I'd like to see improved
> lie mostly in the mess that is the public template functions and tags (I am
> strong with developer APIs and backwards compatibility), so that's one
> likely area I will jump into, but only after high priority stuff is taken
> care of first.

Welcome! There's always more to do than we have contributors, and 3.5 will
be getting underway probably next week. Getting yourself in the mindset of
always thinking about backwards compatibility is definitely one of the most
important (and hardest) things to do, and it makes a reviewers' job that
much easier. Often, Trac history and svn blame are your friends. :-)

> P.S. If WordPress is considering a migration from SVN to git/GitHub, let
> it be known that I've been using git for over two years now, so no training
> is needed here.

We're not, but a number of people use Git to create patches, including Mark
Jaquith
http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/developing-on-wordpress-using-git/and
scribu
http://scribu.net/wordpress/svn-patches-from-git.html.