[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Bryan Petty bpetty at bluehost.com
Wed Jul 25 04:18:49 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 09:20 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> To me, this post (And most of this thread honestly) screams "I don't
> know how the current system works, so I think we should add something
> else instead" by people who are either a) not writing this stuff b)
> don't configure servers, and c) don't know the history here

I wasn't going to originally reply to this because I thought it
offensive, and I didn't have anything constructive to reply back with,
but I do actually feel like I have to address this now.

First off (a), I do write this stuff, not for WordPress obviously (until
possibly now), but I have written several object cache systems for
several web applications already before.

Second (b), I have also configured all of those applications (including
the caching mechanisms) running on several different web servers, not
just manually, but also through configuration management systems like
Puppet and Chef while provisioning armies of servers.

But most importantly, I wanted to point out that it sounds exactly like
"I don't know how the current system works, so I think we should add
something else instead" because that's true. Out of *all* of the object
caching systems I've worked with, WP's object cache isn't designed like
any of them, and that's exactly the problem!

New developers aren't being encouraged to use the caching appropriately
in their plugins or themes because it's foreign and confusing to them,
not only the ones new to programming, but also the ones coming to
WordPress from other web applications, the same ones also writing
extensions for MediaWiki or plugins for other blogging software.

--
Bryan Petty
WordPress Developer
bpetty at bluehost.com