[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Bryan Petty bpetty at bluehost.com
Wed Jul 25 00:41:46 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 05:59 PM, Aaron Jorbin wrote:
> The transients API isn't just a db cache, it uses the object cache if it is
> setup to be used[1]. The decision is left up to the site developer as to if
> they want to use an object cache or not.

If the blogger hasn't installed a 3rd party cache dropin, that's
effectively what the transients API is, a DB cache backend. This is the
case with probably 99% of WordPress installations.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear though. The transients API would continue
to live on unchanged and working *exactly* how it does currently, but
the actual internal code that stores and manages the data in the cache
would be moved to a WP_Object_Cache backend which would become the new
default cache if wp_cache_set() is called with an expiration.

The Batcache plugin you referred to would continue to work perfectly
fine untouched as would any custom advanced-cache.php dropins you
installed too.

--
Bryan Petty
WordPress Developer