[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Sat Jul 21 23:57:42 UTC 2012

The way you've phrased the question illustrates how these discussions
can become confusing.  I'll answer as best I can.

You asked about "an object cache" as opposed to "the object cache".  So
I'm not sure what you call an object cache.  You would implement
fragment caching using a "persistent cache" and I think that's what you
were asking about.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Object_Cache#Persistent_Caching
However there may be reasons why you don't care to implement it using
the WordPress Object cache class WP_Object_Cache. That class has a
number of features like grouping and cache versions that you may wish to
avoid for whatever reason.  You may simply prefer using straight PHP
memcache calls http://php.net/manual/en/book.memcache.php or want the
data in separate server from the object cache. The why of it depends on
the project and the programmer, fortunately, you only asked how.

Brian Layman