[wp-hackers] Author URLs expose usernames

Andrew Spratley aspratley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 07:52:39 UTC 2012

I agree with Otto on this. Hiding usernames on the front end isn't
going to get you much more real security. As has been demonstrated
before, security by obscurity doesn't work long term. Usernames were
never engineered to be hidden. Having strong passwords and mitigating
brute force attacks is going to pay off for you in the long term.

Personally I'd put my security efforts into:

Limiting public login attempts (I'd like to see this in core, does the
aforementioned plugin for on Multisite installs?)
Ensuring strong passwords are used (long and complex)
Making sure my plugins and themes aren't opening my site up to abuse
Ensuring a strong hash is used for PW storage (bcrypt or something
that allows a unit of work to be set for the hash)

This is all assuming you have a secure hosting environment as well.

Re the caching point. As much as we'd all like it to be,
caching/scaling isn't just a flick of the switch and fix it kind of
thing. There're some excellent plugins out there but you really need
to choose something that suits your environment and workload.  Having
a generic solution in core, in my opinion wouldn't be a neat solution
because of the wide number of use-cases it would need to satisfy. When
it comes to caching you need to understand what the performance
problem on your particular site and then fix it.