[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Muhammad Ali mjsafoxy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:12:03 UTC 2012

I use Ubuntu LAMPP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, PHPMyAdmin) servers,
sometimes virtualised, with SSH. I have a few physical Windows based
servers which I generally use for mass mirroring, hosting Minecraft
servers, VPNs and general non-sense.

I use Coda (2) for Mac and on my clients for code writing.

Tbh when I get to creating a new project I just do via SSH:
apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get install apache2 php mysql
phpmyadmin

Then I edit the conf files and I'm good to go! It's the lazy people way.

For beginners I would advise getting a very low-spec Ubuntu server (no GUI
and like 512 meg of RAM) like a really old school computer and install
LAMPP on that.