[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Wed Jul 18 15:34:56 UTC 2012

This conversation comes up once a year. So be sure to look at the
archives...

Locally I have xampp installed to my DropBox folder with the database as
a MyISAM install. This allows me to walk to the other room and switch to
using my laptop and continue local development without any effort to
sync the work from my desktop.
Most often I work on the servers directly, sometimes using /etc/host to
create a dev account for the URL in question on a different server.
Then the client can easily preview it with an /etc/hosts change. (Note
this requires editing the server's /etc/host too)
I use ExpanDrive (version 1.8.3 is the fastest) to connect all of my
servers as a drive letter.
I'm on PC and use NotePad++ as the editor and at one point had extra
function keys setup to do context sensitive searches in the codex and a
phpxref repo.  It make it a great WordPress specific dev tool.

Brian Layman