[wp-hackers] WordPress moving to PHP 5.3x?

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sun Jul 15 03:42:08 UTC 2012

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> To everyone who commented may I ask what *you* would choose as a minimum requirement?

I'd do the same as I do for my open source projects: look at the
requirements for the project itself. For example, if I'm building a
system that involves a lot of classes with static methods, and those
have to be overridden, I might need late static bindings. If I want to
use PHP 5.3+ libraries or namespaces, then 5.3 is what I'd go for.

Personally, I almost always code for 5.2, but recommend 5.3. Requests
[0] and SimplePie [1] are both 5.2+, simply because it's so easy to
support 5.2 if you're careful.

(Sidenote: If you want late static binding on 5.2 (specifically,
`get_called_class()`, try this [2])

[0]: http://requests.ryanmccue.info/
[1]: http://simplepie.org/
[2]: https://gist.github.com/3114816