[wp-hackers] Richer metadata for plugin versions

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:01:21 UTC 2012

On 11 July 2012 18:45, David Anderson <david at wordshell.net> wrote:
> - Your website is being advertised on national radio today, in 20 minutes
> time. There's a new version of a plugin available, which advertises a new
> feature that you don't use. Update immediately ... ?

If your site uptime is critical then you should have have a test
environment to test new code before deploying it.

> - Plugin X has a security hole that allows immediate and complete site
> take-over. Obviously, you should update immediately. But plugin Y just has a
> minor tweak to a feature you hardly use. You might want to take an hour or
> day to test it out. There's a difference in that situation. The metadata I'm
> proposing would help you know which is which.

Again, if your site is critical then you should test all new code
going onto it, regardless of whether it's a security fix or a new
feature. You shouldn't be deploying any untested code to a site 20
minutes before going live on national radio, regardless of what the
code changes are.