[wp-hackers] wp-hackers Digest, Vol 84, Issue 5

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jan 6 17:52:20 UTC 2012

On Jan 6, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Otto wrote:
> I think it would be rather confusing for a user to try
> to create a page named "tag" or "category" only for it to come up as
> "tag-2" or "category-2" because of the conflict with those
> pre-existing taxonomies. Sure, the Page's link would then work, but
> the user wouldn't understand why his URL wasn't being allowed.

I agree, that would be confusing.

One option might be as simple as displaying a message in the admin after the user creates a tag or category (or whatever) that has a known URL conflict. That way if the user knew what they are doing they could ignore the message but if they didn't at least they would not have to be frustrated by having to try to later figure out why it wasn't working.

FWIW.

-Mike