[wp-hackers] Looking for guidance on building on top of another theme

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:41:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Mike Little <wordpress at zed1.com> wrote:

> [ ... snipped ... ]
>

> I used to use Sandbox as a good basis for themes a long time ago, but
> abandoned it not longer after the author did. Some of it's best ideas are
> now incorporated into core WordPress, but the rest of WordPress'
> functionality has left it far, far behind.
>
> There are many better themes to build on. TwentyTen and TwentyEleven were
> both built to be exemplar themes using all the latest APIs and techniques
> from core WordPress, for example.
>
> Whilst they are bit too designed for some tastes, strip the stylesheet and
> you have a very good starting point.

I completely agree with you but I am looking at making a short term fix to
allow me some time to build a replacement theme.  I am doing this as a
hobby so my time to work on this comes and goes depending on my real job,
family commitments, etc.  If I focused on it I could probably build a new
theme in a few weeks time but it will likely take me 2-3 months working on
it an hour here and there as time permits.

There is a lot of value (to me) in moving to the latest WordPress release
and a lot of value (to the end users) who know how to use the existing
theme so spending a few hours updating what is currently a known quantity
will provide me a decent short term solution.

For now I think I am going to keep a modified version of the functions.php
file as part of my theme code and include the 1.6.2 code from the
WordPress.com theme repository.

Mike Walsh - mpwalsh8 at gmail.com