[wp-hackers] Learning WordPress and Getting Support

Shasta Willson shastaw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 22:08:12 UTC 2012

I'd start with tutorials. Check the comments on any tutorial before
you start -- did it work for most folks? And check the date.  If it's
more than a year old things have probably changed.  Have real projects
you want to accomplish, be willing to be flexible about them, and find
tutorials where you learn to do things.  As you're working, go check
the codex for the things you're learning.  You need to learn your way
around the codex as it's the "user manual". It'll also clue you in
when a tutorial isn't doing something the 'right' way, which plenty
don't.  If the codex says "don't do this" and the tutorial says do, go
find another tutorial.

Use the Wordpress forums for specific questions that crop up, but the
last year or so responses have dropped off a cliff when I ask
something there. It may be because I'm asking more advanced questions,
rather than that the forums have changed.  I'm honestly not sure.

- Shasta