[wp-hackers] the home.php problem: does it asks for a posts.php ?

Vinicius Massuchetto viniciusmassuchetto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:12:49 UTC 2012

2012/8/27 Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>:
> You might want to revisit the Template
> Hierarchy<http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy>.
> It appears that you use "home.php" and "front-page.php" interchangeably,
> but they are not interchangeable.
>
>    - The "front-page.php" template file is used to render the SITE FRONT
>    PAGE (i.e. home_url()), regardless of whether the front page displays the
>    blog posts index, or a static page.
>    - The "home.php" template file is used to render the BLOG POSTS INDEX,
>    whether the blog posts index is displayed on the site front page, or on a
>    static page.

Is that the case of emphasizing such information on this very same
documentation page? I ask because, as Leo said, I've also seen a lot
of people misusing `home.php` as the site front page, and reading back
the (English) documentation, in fact, looks confusing to me.

In the other hand, the pt_BR translation for this page curiously
switch places of `home.php` and `front-page.php`. Can this be a
contribution for all this confusion?

Thanks.
--
Vinicius Massuchetto