[wp-hackers] Running several WordPress sites on the same server

Thu Aug 23 15:57:00 UTC 2012

The RAM benefit isn't something I had thought of. My assumption was its
still 100 copies of WP running even it it was just from one source and so
RAM footprint would be the same.

I think some legitimate points were made though about the viability of such
methods. Specifically on that post by otto, that article they talk about
managing all those symlinks. The more I think about it the more I question
if I can really trust that hack to hold up in production. And for what to
save some disc space? We all know that's cheap, Google gives me 10GB of
space for me email for free.

The RAM aspect does raise a potentially good point, I would have to look
into some hard figures of the diffrnece in the two methods and how much the
extra RAM does cost. And while I will agree it is easier to identify hacks
in one set of core files, it does also mean a hack affects all of the site.
Again some simple cron job tuning every night to verify MD5 hashes of every
core file against a known good file. If it doesn't match it could put the
site into maintenance mode like an upgrade, quarantine the file for my
review then replace it with a known good version and remove
the maintenance mode.