[wp-hackers] Redactor WYSIWYG Editor for WP

Bryan Petty bryan at ibaku.net
Sun Aug 12 23:12:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Kevinjohn Gallagher
<kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The specific company that asked the NS4/6 question had over 50,000 employees ; and was for an intranet CMS RFI.They weighed up the cost of supporting the development in older browsers browsers; versus the cost of upgrading over 50,000 computers (in over 100 languages and 200 countries) and all the support questions it would raise. For every year they supported the older browsers, they saved more money than I'll make in my lifetime.
> We geeks sometime forget that upgrading, heck CHANGE, has a cost associated with it (time / money / support / training ). Sometimes the cost of doing nothing, is less than the cost of change.

On the flip side, the business guys often forget that there's a cost
to maintaining old hardware, available vendors dropping like flies
leaving the remaining ones the ability to jump up prices, lack of
flexibility to expand rapidly, exposure to way more serious security
vulnerabilities, additional companies not willing to even work with
you (such as the 23 companies mentioned in your situation earlier).
Those costs are often even higher than the upgrade would be, they are
way less predictable, and much of it can't even be measured (nor can
the benefits of performing the upgrade).

Also, regardless of their decision to push back the upgrade, it
absolutely *will* happen eventually (it has to), and you've just
pushed your company back on progress that your competitor now has an
opening on (i.e. the other guys are hiring 30% less staff because
their internal support web apps are web 2.0 optimized making them
several times easier to use and several times easier to train for, and
obviously several times easier for the developers to write and
maintain). Also, if you expect the company to grow, the costs to
perform the upgrade are only going to increase. Then again, not
performing the upgrade might just guarantee that the company isn't
going to grow now.

Maybe it is a good decision though if the company is on the decline
already though...

Regards,
Bryan Petty