[wp-hackers] Redactor WYSIWYG Editor for WP

Kevinjohn Gallagher kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 12 20:32:24 UTC 2012

> Kevinjohn I'm curious if your NS4/6 fans appreciated that their desire to support outdated systems should also increase their costs over update of browsers, possibly up to 3x and maybe even 10x?
Some do, some don't.I am always upfront about our costs: supporting IE6 or IE7 will add 1 year of my mortgage to your cost - flat rate, regardless of size of project.
The specific company that asked the NS4/6 question had over 50,000 employees ; and was for an intranet CMS RFI.They weighed up the cost of supporting the development in older browsers browsers; versus the cost of upgrading over 50,000 computers (in over 100 languages and 200 countries) and all the support questions it would raise. For every year they supported the older browsers, they saved more money than I'll make in my lifetime.
We geeks sometime forget that upgrading, heck CHANGE, has a cost associated with it (time / money / support / training ). Sometimes the cost of doing nothing, is less than the cost of change.

(hopefully didn't de-rail this thread)

Kev

Kevinjohn Gallagher
+44 (0) 7788 718382