[wp-hackers] Community conventions for custom post types?

onlyunusedname onlyunusedname at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 23:27:41 UTC 2012

I think all I really meant, Ade, was to extend the concept of Post Formats
to common  Custom Post Types and Custom Taxonomies that I routinely see
others implementing for CMSs.  Maybe it's not really necessary.

Once upon a time (pre-3.1) if you wanted to do targeted styling for an
"aside-like" post  and I wanted to do targeted styling for an "aside-like"
post we would both probably implement that in a very similar but not
interoperable way.  Which would probably be relatively easy to resolve.
 But now we can just know that we are both just using the aside post format.

Today, if I get two restaurant clients with two restaurant "Premium"
themes, they very frequently will have two different sets of very, very
similar but not interoperable custom post types and/or taxonomies and/or
meta.  I just thought it would be nice if I could say that my
restaurant-related theme or plugin was "Portable Menu Taxonomy Spec
vX.X-compatible" (or what have you) it could add up to a big time save.

I mean, if everyone building a restaurant CMS (or art gallery CMS or
whatever common CMS implementation) knew where to go for the consensus spec
and there were snippets for everyone to register everything in the same
manner...  (And if you had a solution that was very uncommon, well this
wouldn't pertain to you.)  Or would that just create more hassle than it
eliminated?