[wp-hackers] request for coordinated change (bugfix) to simplepie and wordpress

Thorsten Glaser tg at debian.org
Sat Apr 21 19:01:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

first of all, simplepie developers, sorry for directly mailing you,
but I could not find out how to work this Yahoo thing you have in
lieu of a proper mailing list. You might want to add documentation
for that ;-) (The rationale for eMail here is to keep everyone in-
volved, that is both upstream and Debian packagers for both word-
press and simplepie plus me as integrator, in the loop.)

In Evolvis/FusionForge we set the PHP error loglevel very high and
overlay the pages sent out with an ugly pink popup if there are PHP
errors or the page is invalid XHTML, to educate developers and fix
such problems immediately (on development systems only, of course).
Now we (or rather, some code from Codendi, another SourceForge de-
rivate, imported into FusionForge) use simplepie for parsing RSS
and displaying it on a project homepage. Imagine my joy when I saw
that I had to fix simplepie, too. (And others…)

Well, said, done. Unfortunately, this change is not liked by Wordpress:

So I'm hereby asking you, both upstreams, to coordinatedly apply the
bugfix and make the classmethod static, since create() should never
have been an instancemethod in the first place.

This means, in the class SimplePie_Cache and all its derivates, such
as WP_Feed_Cache, the method create() must be made static:

-	function create($location, $filename, $extension)
+	static function create($location, $filename, $extension)

Ref: http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/simplepie/1.2.1-3/assigning_the_return_value_of_new_by_reference_is_now_deprecated.patch

The Debian package also contains other fixes you might probably want
to integrate.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of