[wp-hackers] changing the category base and then removing it all together and doing this back and forth

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:56:53 UTC 2012

I appreciate your feedback but I rather work with the built-in category
taxonomy for the theme support.

Are there any impossibiles to what I was asking? cause I'm not seeking an
*easier* route at this time.
I repeat the 2 questions I have for convenience purposes;

Can I use the built-in category taxonomy as follows

___Media
______Audio
______Pictures
______Videos
______Articles
______Apps
___Audience
______Beginners
______Intermediate
__Featured
______Main Headline
______Slides
______Flagship
______Worth a look
______Not to miss

 and then I have the following url options

  mysite.com/browseBy/media
  mySite.com/browseBy/media/audio

  or

  mysite.com/media
  mySite.com/media/audio

Can I achieve these URLs by simply changing category base to "BrowseBy"
for the first two URL examples

and then some time later totally removing the base for the last two URL
examples?

Are there any technical issues with such changes?

Yes. I'm aware of the SEO implications of such changes but we are not at
launch phase.
Once we launch, we will obviously stick to the launch state.

And on a second note...

When I change the "category" base or remove it all together, what happens
to the register_taxonomy function. does get_taxonomies('','names') still
return "category" or does it return "browseBy"?

But Eric, In the future, surely I will keep your advise though. I'm in
prototyping phase now.