[wp-hackers] getting a pageview from the wp_links links

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 23:23:32 UTC 2012

Here is my solution to this

Use the wp_links" table's "link_notes" field to store the excerpt of the
linked article.

Do NOT use the "link_url" for storing the "external link url".
Instead store the following URL; ( or something like that )

http://yoursite.com/your-custom-page/?link_id=WHATEVER_THE_LINK_ID_IS_FROM_THE_WP_LINKS_TABLE_FORTHAT_LINK

Store the "external link url" in the wp_links' link_description field.
( Hopefully the URL would be less than 255 or you are toast. )

Let your-custom-page do a look up on the link_id passed thru the
query_string.
Do a db look up into wp_links to get to external url link and the excerpt
and do the necessary.

This approach solves my problem.
Unless anybody throws his 5 cents into this and offer a dramatically better
solution, I will go with this approach.