[wp-hackers] wordpress import. does it really work?

Kevinjohn Gallagher kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:27:44 UTC 2012

This is one of the great disconnects with WP.Links, in its current state, are hardly used anywhere as they work in a simple 1-1 format that no other CMS uses.
Haluk, if you think of WP as a purely blogging-focussed tool (and it pretty much was when the importer was built), then this all makes sense.
If you're thinking of using WP as a CMS, in which you're attempting to move a "development"/beta environment data to a live release, then WP import is absolutely not the way to go. Sadly, with the hardcoding of the URL (and multiple dependancies) in multiple places in database and content; the "pushing" of content from one WP install to another on a different domain is far from easy, but it's not too complex either (just don't think you can search/replace either thats a recipe for a disaster).

Kevinjohn Gallagher
+44 (0) 7788 718382
KevinjohnGallagher at hotmail.com
http://www.kevinjohngallagher.com