[wp-hackers] Best approach

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Sep 19 05:55:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Diana K. Cury <dianakac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using taxonomies for country States in my plugin, what could be te best approach for allow users to select cities?
>
> There are a lot of cities, so taxonomies can handle this, at all? Or metadata should keep this?
>
> Taxonomies could handle cities within (hierarchical taxos), but not sure if too much taxonomies will work.

That depends on how you're using them.

Are the names of these cities important *as data*? That is, are you
displaying them, ordering by them, doing anything on the string of the
city name itself?

If so, then use meta instead. If not, then taxonomies are fine.

Taxonomies are all about the *grouping* of the objects in them. If the
group is more important than the label of the group, then taxonomies
are the way to go. If the label itself is meaningful data in the sense
of it being data that you're using in some other way, then meta is
better.

-Otto