[wp-hackers] Advice on using Custom Post Types

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Oct 31 22:38:31 UTC 2011

>> On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Aero Maxx wrote:
>>> I have 8 custom post types for a lottery website I am currently working, one custom post type for each game that is in the lottery, but I am now wondering if this is the best way to go about this, would I be better off do you think in creating 1 custom post type called draw results, and having all the games results in this one custom post type, and then have categories to select for which game the results apply to, or should I stick with the 8 custom post types, and list them under a game information page in my menu as this is how I currently have it setup.
>

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Mario Peshev wrote:
>> If they have the same data and outlook to be populated and designed I'd go
>> with 1 custom post type and either categories or custom fields for the
>> small changes. Basically I use custom post types for entirely different
>> entities.
>>
>> Mario Peshev
>> Training and Consulting Services @ DevriX
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev
>> http://peshev.net/blog
>

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Erick Hitter wrote:
>> Either categories or a custom taxonomy will be more manageable, unless
>> there are substantive differences, such as post meta/meta boxes that differ
>> between the types.
>>
>> Erick

I agree with both Mario and Erick.  I might also suggest you add a 'Game Type' custom taxonomy or a '_game_type' custom field or  in which you store a key that indicates which gave type it is, and then capture different values into custom fields depending on which of game type of you for each.

-Mike