[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Oct 31 05:21:49 UTC 2011

On 31 October 2011 16:05, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2011, at 11:51 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> > At first glance that sounds good and all, but do you really want to be
> > calling your files wp-development.funclientsite.com-config.php ?
>
> Sure I do.  Why not?
>
> > wp-config.php is a php include line any other, it doesn't *have* to
> contain
> > any definitions at all, it can simply be a switch/if and include the
> > specific file for that instance.
>
> Yep. I was just trying to propose moving toward some standard so that
> everybody who is not highly experienced with WordPress doesn't have to go
> through the pain of figuring out what works and what doesn't.
>
> I know how do it it; I'm just trying to look out for those who don't.

Lets work on the 80:20 rule then, and further the 95% rule. 80% of people
will never need staging configs, and of those 20% 95% will never use it
either.
The remaining 1% of users who might have the need to do it, would be far
better off served with a codex article discussing the potential directions
one can go in. Every developers environments and way that they're
comfortable with doing it is going to differ, The difference between
staging sites and production sites might not be the HTTP host, it could be
a different server (with the same domain name.. ie. via a VPN/proxy or
similar), or it could even be running on a different port (I've seen it - a
load balancer switched the ports depending on the source being a internal
proxy)

tl;dr: Core can do it, core can standardise on it; but those that do it are
in a miniscule minority, and overall, it feels better as a community edited
wiki instructions.