[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Mon Oct 31 03:27:50 UTC 2011

I doubt that this wasn't an intentional spur, and probably one worth
discussing, however:

More importantly than absolute vs relative is that many people don't
want to write HTML at all. Which although there is a visual editor for
that, is a near requirement to understand at least the basics of HTML.
This is a limitation upon the number of people who are willing to even
learn how to use WordPress. Media by at large is a weak point because of
the complexities of doing video, audio and photography. This can all be
handled along side WordPress that doesn't require changes to the core
editor that is very much defined and should remain unchanged.

There is one crowd that is more towards just writing HTML, there is
entirely and much larger crowd that doesn't even know HTML. Thus using
WordPress is a beginning step to learning and why having both the visual
and code editor is important. WordPress has been user-centric and not
developer centric which is why it has been popular. However WordPress
lacks a lot of the object oriented abstraction that frameworks (designed
by developers) have, that can make it frustrating to work with at times,
especially in a highly instable environment such as doing development.
Yet the very flexibility of frameworks such as Django, making it
impossible to maintain any project outside a single use very well
because the models are always changing, and are just plain annoying.

The fact that there needs to be a search and replace with the same
length of the domain is a workaround, and while it is a solution, and
probably the best one considering the most common environment and use of
WordPress and emphasis on portability of posts and you don't know where
they well be read. This so super important. Yet it still isn't an
entirely good solution either, and turns many developers away because of
the "uncomfortable" experience.

I'm really surprised markup languages haven't become more common
actually, like Wikipedia uses. I feel more comfortable teaching someone
who doesn't know HTML a markup language than HTML because although HTML
is very simple, it's also really easy to mess up.