[wp-hackers] Configuring WordPress Environment / Server

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Mon Oct 31 00:13:48 UTC 2011

Mike I agree with your perspective on multi-site.  We too are a an agency group that produces work for a variety of clients.  Besides multi-site not having the best isolation between sites in some regards (administration needs to be well maintained to prevent network enabling plugins & themes across the board.) it will also produce a data backend that is incongruent with a single install if they choose that design down the road.  The backend can be restructured to work but you'd need custom migration scripts to handle table renames and value updates.

We currently use a hybrid approach of using a multi-site system to manage our content only, but we then export to single installs that are fully customized per client.

Jeffrey, you could get away with just working from one install, and having build scripts manage the symlinks.  But wordpress does offer a very robust upgrade system so unless you plan on managing dozens of installs at once, you'll probably not see much benefit from reducing that process down to one install.  And in the infrequent case that an upgrade to wp core does break an existing site/feature, you'll appreciate the fine-grain control on when to do the upgrade for each client.

As for integrating AWS for media, I don't have much experience with it inside the wordpress environment.  I know there are a couple plugins for streaming media, but I'm not sure how broad the support is for other media items. Or whether they natively integrate with the wordpress editor or just offer shortcodes.  Maybe someone else can fill you in on that.

Thanks,
Marcus