[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Oct 28 22:04:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 22:41, Marcus Pope <Marcus.Pope at springbox.com>wrote:

> Ok, Mike if faking a dev name length to match a production name length is
> the *right* way to do it, and if you can't envision a potential scenario
> where your staging url or TLD couldn't possibly match the same length as
> your production site, then maybe you'll at least concede that it's an extra
> step that doesn't have to happen if we used root-relative urls.

I'm much more concerned about the xtra step that would have to happen for
every single feed request (as well as those other uses of the content I
don't know about). As mentioned, on some sites I've worked on: 50,000
requests at least once per hour. Why should the server have to do that extra
processing request after request, hour after  hour, day after day, to save
me 5 minutes every time I deploy data (which is a lot rarer than when I
deploy code).

> But even still the search and replace of content is only half the problem,
> there are a world of other issues that are a direct result of storing
> absolute urls in the database.

Several years (quite literally no-one else has been developing on WordPress
longer than me), several hundred sites, and thousands of deploys later, and
I've yet to come across this "world of other issues".

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/