[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Oct 28 21:15:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 20:54, Marcus Pope <Marcus.Pope at springbox.com>wrote:

> > Relative URLs are great until they don't work: the RSS issue is
> significant.
>
> Mickey, wordpress processes all of your urls every time you host your page
> or export via rss/email.  What we propose is that you only need to process
> those URL's when you export via RSS, via a simple function call.  They are
> always considered as a use case with this concept and are not broken when
> you choose to host via root-relative ulrs.
>
> Additionally there are things that don't ever make it into an rss feed that
> are still forced and munged into an absolute URL like local css and
> javascript files.  These create headaches when moving through staging
> environments for enterprise developers.
>
> > When I migrate, it means search-and-replace in the database
>
> And that will break your serialized data if any of your plugins encode data
> that way or if your site uses any widgets.

If that happens you are doing it wrong.

I search and replace database dumps to copy from dev to test, or production
to dev, every day. None ever break.

Here's a tip: in dev, fake a same length domain name (theclientsdomain.bom
instead of theclientsdomain.com) in your hosts file, in test (that needs to
be publicly hosted so the client can access it) make sure it's on a same
length domain. (get yourself a really short (4- or 5-char) domain so you can
create almost any length domains. I own z1.tl so I can host
theclientsdoma.z1.tl.
As long as it matches the length of the live domain, search and replace
won't break.

And as Otto hinted at, the real important trick is nothing to do with
domains. If you take a copy of production data, the hard bit is mangling the
user's real names and email addresses in the user database so you don't
expose the private data to test or dev staff, or nearly as bad, kick off an
email to 20,000 users for "my test post I just published"

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/