[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Oct 28 20:45:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 20:33, Marcus Pope <Marcus.Pope at springbox.com>wrote:

> Sometimes you don't get to create a proper NAT environment.  Sometimes you
> are forced to adhere to a company's intranet regulations.  If you work on
> ANY defense contract you WILL be presented with having to host www.dod.gov,
> and access it via internal.dod.server1.net if you are on their intranet.
>  This is obviously a made up example, but the example is pervasive in
> enterprise industries, not just government networks.  DNS tricks are not
> allowed and therefor are not a solution.  Relative root urls solves this.
>
> Explain how with wordpress on a load-balanced setup, you could use a DNS
> trick, to access server4 by IP address, click links, administer content
> without being redirected back to the gateway when wordpress hard-codes
> www.gatewayhost.com in every link ever sent back to the browser.  IT
> CANNOT BE DONE.  If it's so easy, just publish a really simple step by step
> example for others to understand how.

Yes it can be done. I did *exactly* this last year for a central UK
government client. Where the same site was accessed internally as
http://cms.somesite.gov.uk and externally as http://www.somesite.gov.uk

Incidentally in the same environment there were two other WP instances, test
and long term staging at http://test.somesite.gov.uk  and
http://test2.somesite.gov.uk. At the flick of a switch (a click of a control
panel link), any of the url's could be pointed at a different WP instance. A
different click could copy from one to the other: e.g. bring a copy of live
(wp1) into staging (wp2), ready for adding new content, and click - switch
www and cms to point to instance wp2  and now that's the live one.

All three instances were also accessible with ip addresses if needed!

The secret is apache proxying and mod_substitute.

And this was a 1.5 million uniques amonth site, with more than 50K feed
subscribers, - we really did not wanting be post processing urls in php for
those 50K readers.

Mike
--
Mike Little