[wp-hackers] Proper handling of jquery loading.

Dagan Henderson Dagan.Henderson at epyllion.com
Fri Oct 21 19:45:53 UTC 2011

Claude,

jQuery is not (and should not be) loaded at every page load. At best, loading it when it's not needed would delay uncached page loads. Some themes do make use of it, and they will no doubt include it, but unless core evolves to do something fancy enough to actually require jQuery (doubtful), you won't see it there.

So, adding <?php wp_enqueue_script( 'jquery'); ?> to your header.php _before_ <?php wp_head(); ?> is called will indeed load jQuery. It should be noted, though, that WordPress loads jQuery in no-conflict mode, meaning it must be called via jQuery() and not the shorthand $().

Cheers.