[wp-hackers] Enhancements to Settings API

Ade Walker photofantaisie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:42:20 UTC 2011

*Enhancements to Settings API*

I am thinking of proposing some relatively minor changes to the Settings
API, but thought I would bounce around some ideas here first before
submitting a patch.

One of the aspects I find limiting about the Settings API is the fixed
nature of the XHTML markup generated by the do_settings_sections() function.
By way of a reminder, this function iterates over a global variable (array)
which holds the settings sections registered for that particular settings
page, and then outputs the following markup and content for each registered
section:

- h3 title of the section

- Output of the callback specified in add_settings_section() (if specified)

- table opening markup
- a table row for each registered settings field applicable to this settings
section, containing markup for each setting's form field
- a table row.. ditto
- etc
- table closing markup

This block is then repeated for the next registered settings section, and so
on, until do_settings_sections() has finished its output.

The problem with this situation is that this markup is not ideal if one
needs a more complex markup to create, for example, a tabbed interface like
that found in the existing Appearance>Themes page. Although it is possible
to use jQuery to create the necessary markup, it's rather complicated and
far from ideal.

So, here are possible solutions (in no particular order):

1. Add a filter within the foreach loop in do_settings_sections(). The
filter would need to pass the $section array.

2. Create a new function do_settings_section($page, $section) to allow
output of each section separately.

3. Add a new $section parameter to the existing do_settings_sections()
function, ie like this: do_settings_sections($page, $section = false).
if $section is false, then the function spews everything out just like now.
If $section has a value of the id of a registered section, then only that
section will be output.

Disadvantages of #1 is that dealing with the closing markup becomes
complicated, unless the user uses the filter to completely replace the
existing code within the foreach loop.
Disadvantages of #2 is that it basically replicates an existing function,
which doesn't feel right, and would require, say, 5 function calls in order
to output 5 settings sections...

For me, #3 seems the least worst option and would maintain backwards
compatibility.

Any thoughts, anyone?

If I haven't been very clear in what I'm discussing, please let me know and
I'll try to elaborate! :-)

As mentioned before, I could have raised a ticket already, but wanted to get
some other input before I do so.

Thanks.

Ade