[wp-hackers] Blatant Copying of Plugin Code

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Oct 3 12:07:04 UTC 2011

*TL;DR*: Add an explicit copyright attribution and license declaration to
your code, if you expect others to retain them.

I note that you don't actually have a copyright attribution in your original
Plugin (or, for that matter, a license declaration), in either the primary
Plugin file<http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/slick-social-share-buttons/tags/1.3/dcwp_slick_social_buttons.php>or
in the readme
file<http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/slick-social-share-buttons/tags/1.3/readme.txt>.
This
is a bit of a problem with WordPress Plugins and Themes, because most
developers do not properly/adequately attribute their *own* code. (I found
this to be true even among core developers, in a Plugin
audit<http://www.chipbennett.net/2010/02/10/auditing-wordpress-plugins-for-license-information/>almost
two years ago; I suspect that little has changed.)

Note that GNU recommends this format for copyright attribution:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Copied out of some of my own code, for example:

 * Oenology WordPress Theme, Copyright (C) 2010 Chip Bennett
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

For Themes, one would expect to see this attribution/disclaimer in the
header comments in style.css. For Plugins, one would expect to see this
attribution/disclaimer in the phpDoc header docblock in the primary Plugin
PHP file. Note also that phpDoc includes @copyright and @license tags, that
can and should be used where appropriate.

The important part of the GNU-recommended attribution is the *copyright
statement*. If you include it, you can reasonably and legally expect that
any derivative (or re-distributed) work will retain it; however, if you fail
to include this attribution, it is unreasonable to expect that someone else
is going to create it for you.

Personally, I'd love to see a bit more education of WordPress Theme/Plugin
developers regarding the proper method of code copyright attribution and
license declaration. With WPORG-hosted Themes, at least explicit
License/License URI declaration is required (though we don't currently
address copyright attribution). Plugins have... well, an (IMHO) legally
non-binding statement here <http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/> that
Plugins are "explicitly" (whereby the definition of "explicit" is bludgeoned
into a semblance of "implicit") licensed as GPL if no license declaration
exists.

So, we've somewhat brought on a "wild west" environment upon ourselves, with
respect to modified/re-distributed code. While on one hand some people will
have nefarious intent, and won't follow convention even if convention is
established, on the other hand, even people who intend to follow convention
- and who intend to attribute copyright properly when they
modify/redistribute code - are stymied by a lack of convention with in the
WordPress developer community, and by a lack of education regarding what the
license *itself* (er, GNU) recommends.

Chip