[wp-hackers] Theme options in db: automatic deletion?

Ade Walker photofantaisie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:04:54 UTC 2011

Just a question to gauge views on this subject.

Well-written plugins will use the deactivation hook or the uninstall.php
method to remove their options from the wp_options table when the plugin is
deleted. Themes, however, tend not to do this (well, I've personally not
yet used one that does). So here's my question: in terms of best practice,
shouldn't themes automatically remove their db options when deleted via
Appearance>Themes panel? Just to be clear - I'm not talking
about deleting options on deactivation of the theme, only on theme deletion.