[wp-hackers] How to sync/mirror 2 WP multisite installs using one database?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri May 27 08:18:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Claudio Simeone <mrbrog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately to me, the server separation is not done for security,
> but for performance reasons (it's a particular type of load balancing)
> so I have to use 2 servers: one dedicated to back-end operations
> (read/write), and the other only for front-end (read only).

But why two domains? That's a recipe for disaster. I'd focus on getting the
balancer to split admin and frontend traffic between different servers. And
if you set up something like HyperDB, you can send all writes to one master
and spread reads across as many database servers as you need. (At that point
it might not even matter if you split traffic on admin/frontend, cause
really DB is your bottleneck.) Likewise, since you're using multisite, any
other sharding of sites you need to do, you can do through HyperDB.

Nacin