[wp-hackers] Prevent display of dynamic sidebar in widgets.php

Andy Charrington-Wilden andycharrington at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:00:27 UTC 2011

Ah ok I see what you mean. However the plugin utilizes the drag and drop functionality of the sidebars and widgets. It capitalises On sidebars functioning as sidebars and widgets functioning as widgets.

Although the suggestion is a great one and would solve the initial dilemma, it would also take away functionality that really should stay...

Is there a way to use the_widget() instead of dynamic sidebars and still retain the functionality of the widgets? By this I mean that a user can drag and drop widgets to an area (it does not have to be an actual sidebar, as long as it still acts like one), customise widget option then save for a further function to render the output of the widget.

Of course, the functionality could be built from scratch, but it seems so silly when it already exists in WordPress. That's why I used it. It's just finding a way in to widgets.php that's the difficulty!

Sent from my iPhone