[wp-hackers] Including javascript in the footer

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Wed May 11 16:55:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 17:38, Philip Walton <philip at philipwalton.com>wrote:

> On 5/11/11 6:57 AM, Otto wrote:
>
>> I'm going to go ahead and categorically state that there is no
>> situation where it is *necessary* to enqueue a script halfway down the
>> page. All the normal data is loaded into memory, the main query has
>> executed, the autoloader has occurred for options... what else do you
>> need?
>>
> I can agree that it's not absolutely necessary to enqueue a script at the
> point in the page load that I'm wanting to. But I still maintain that
> there's nothing "wrong" about it. Putting a script in the footer is a very
> reasonable thing to do, so as long as I'm making that decision before I
> output the footer markup, I see nothing categorically wrong with it.
>
> I'm also not making the decision to include the script based on the post
> content (maybe that was unclear). I'm doing so on a settings form form the
> admin side.
>
> The add_settings_page() includes a callback to output the contents of the
> form, and that callback is fired after the admin_enqueue_scripts hook. In
> that callback I'm creating a form object and deciding and at that point
> (based on factors I don't control) whether or not I need to either use a
> script to do ajax form validation.
>
> The most logical place for me to make that decision is in the
> add_settings_page callback. Could I do it before? Yes, but in my opinion,
> that would be doing it the "wrong" way.
>
> Philip

I still don't see why your "factors you don't control" aren't known earlier
in processing, but I saw a discussion recently on this list (I think it was
about conditional tags round css) whereby the idea discussed was to always
enqueue (a script) on the page, marked to go in the footer, and then you
could decide to remove it from the queue during processing of the page. I
think that may satisfy your requirement (with the caveat that dependencies
may have already been injected)

Mike
--
Mike Little